Friday, May 4, 2012

Jimmy Olson

Today, I feel a bit like Jimmy Olson. Remember him? Of course you do! He was the cub reporter and jr. photographer that followed Clark Kent around in the Superman series.


(*Disclaimer: I didn't research Jimmy's journey with Superman, so if he turns into some evil person in the comic books, please just work with me here. Remember, I'm still supposed to be packing and can't go galevanting around making sure he turned out to be a good guy*)

You may asking, "hhmm... Mimi B, why do you feel like Jimmy on this lovely Friday?". The answer is that I just found a wonderful website called PicMonkey.com and when I'm on it, I feel like a jr. photographer.  Pair that with my cub reporting skills, and waa la, I feel like good 'ol Jimmy.

If this is website is old hat news for you, scroll on, but if not, check it out.  You can add words to your pictures like I did, there are graphics you can add, and a host of other photo enhancement options for free.  That's right, you get to reinvent the photos.  How wonderful is that?

If you forget their website name like I did, and type in "monkey pics", you'll just get to see a whole bunch of monkey pictures.  So, remember, the pic part goes first.

These guys/gals are awesome and make updating photos both fun and easy.
(*Another Disclaimer: I don't know anyone at this company and this is not a paid advertisement. They're just great, and I'm sharing the good word.*)

So, check out a couple of my before and afters of my "Summer Time is Here" collection. I found these matching wrought iron Parisian cigarette tables at a garage sale, and they were just screaming to be painted a bright shiny red.

I painted them with 2 coats of Annie Sloan's Emperor's Silk and then coated them with two layers of Minwax Gloss Fast-Drying Polyurethane.
I know the exposure is off, but the sheen is what it looks like in person.
It was hard to get a good angle of both of them, so I focused on this one. I loved how they turned out, and I had fun playing with PicMonkey to get some different looks.
Playing with PicMonkey, adding my logo in Polaroid style. 
Native photo.
Moving forward... Nothing says summer more than a great adirondack chair except for... mosquitos, watermelon, and going to the pool, of course. Since my days of laying out and baking in the sun are sadly over and I like to avoid mosquitos at all costs, let's focus on the adirondacks (in the shade, of course) and some watermelon.  Sounds like fun, right?
This children's adirondack was in need of a good paint job when I found it, so I decided to give it a bright green custom mix layer involving Antibes Green with Napoleonic Blue on top, some pretty serious distressing, and topped off with clear wax. Say that fast 3 times...
Monkeying around...

Fun side view at the shop

Another Polaroid...


Ok, enough funning around. I have to get back to packing! Thanks for coming along for the ride, another sunny day, and I'm starting to suspect I only post on sunny days. We'll analyze that later...  Jump on in while I run some more errands.

Linking with:
Between Naps on the Porch

6 comments:

  1. Mimi~ First, great blog! Second, I love your boutique. In the summertime my Mom and I are doing an antiquing roadtrip, and are staying with my aunt in Dallas. I may stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An antiquing road trip sounds like great fun. Would love to see you if you are in the area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cigarette stands and Adirondack chair. Hmmm. I just painted a bright red child's Adirondack chair turquoise--should I be a big old copy cat and distress the top so some of the red shows? Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for getting back to me in regards to the harlequin diamonds! Sometimes I paint them by graphing them out, and sometimes I use the stencil...I like how they "touch" when they are graphed out! As for PicMonkey...I played around with it a while back and had fun...so thanks for reminding me about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this with us @ the Sunday Round Up.
    Hope you have a wonderful week,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you were having fun with chalk paint!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.