Friday, May 11, 2012

Control

If you are anything like me, you see that word and in the back of your mind you are singing the old Janet Jackson classic.  For some reason, I have a mashup of Control and The Right Stuff**  by New Kids on the Block (Uh uh O O, Uh uh O O...).  Fortunately for you, I'm not sitting beside you to sing it.  Unfortunately for Honey, he is within range and wishing he wasn't.  Lucky man, l-u-c-k-y man!


Anyhoo... my sister Kitty mentioned to me earlier in the week that she had heard that control is America's number one addiction.  Apparently, not everyone struggles with queso the way I do.

Speaking of which, a quick sidebar on queso seems in order.  My dear friend Kdog comes down from Chicago several times a year to visit.  After one of these lovely trips, she was sharing the story of her trip with some ladies in the office and telling them that Texans serve queso with every meal.  One of the ladies (who had in fact lived in Texas for several years) gave KDog a bit of a quizzical look and told her that this wasn't the case at all.  She then went on to reveal that Dallas does in fact have several lovely restaurants that don't serve queso at all.

That's when KDog realized that it's not that everyone serves queso in Texas.  It's that I only drag her to places that do.  DOH!

Ok... back to control.  I don't know if control is or isn't America's number one addiction, but it seems logical that it could be in at least the top five.  If queso isn't numero uno for everyone else, it should be.

So, I've been thinking of control this week and realized that this is one of the key reasons that I enjoy painting furniture so much.  I get to control every facet.  I get to decide how much to sand or not to sand at all, what color or colors to paint, how much to distress or not to distress.  I get to decide how to fix small repairs, on and on.  It's like I'm the furniture doctor, and I get to fix it up and send it back out into the world with a whole nuther (yes, I know that's not a word) look, feel, and outfit of choice***.

When I step into my Ladycave, I'm in full control and I love letting my creativity flow, my sense of accomplishment during the process and when I complete a piece, and my ability to relax and unwind as I go.

What about you?  Why do you like to paint?

Mr. Plum, in the mercantile, with the candlestick



** Which is apparently really titled "You Got It (The Right Stuff)" which you'll see if you google it like I did or you can just trust me.  The bold typeface is also apparently part of the name... weird?  I think so...**


*** A nod to the ever popular Toddlers and Tiaras***

Thanks for coming along for the ride.  I've busted up the sunshine theory and am typing on a rainy day.  Jump on in, we're on our way to the cleaners before they close.  Yes, Friday nights with Mimi and Honey B are always this rocking'!
Linking to: napsontheporch.net

2 comments:

  1. uh oh...just tried to make my hubby move his bbq grill this weekend. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.